Saturday, July 9, 2011

Yesterday's brick (day 10)

Yesterday I incorporated an hour bike ride into my routine.  The wind was out of the southwest at roughly 8 knots.  So I headed southeast towards Fenwick.  I took railway to old mill and then cedar to central.  Kinda rough with the head/ side wind.  I was riding at around 18mph with my hr in the mid 140s.  Pretty uneventful ride down to 54 - lots of polite drivers and did I mention warm and humid?  Once I got to 54 I made a right and headed west.  The road heads sorta NW so I started picking up a little tail/cross wind pace picked up into the 22 mph range and the HR was in the low 140s.  I got the idea that I would do my run as a point to point to the boat dock and meet everyone there to cover the boat.  Started to call Ang, but was in an "SOS" zone of coverage.  Oh well I'll tell them once I get back.  Hopefully Connor will ride with me as I run.  So back to the ride.  I turned the corner on 17 and really started to roll.  26mph and feeling like I was pedaling for 16mph.  Cool.  I figured I would blast until the flashing light at beaver dam road.  I hit 30 for a while near Our Lady of Guadalupe - Holy roller!  I was starting to feel it as well.  My heart rate creeped up over 170.  I think I saw 176?  Anyway I started to fade as soon as I could see the blinking light.  I kept up the push until I crossed the intersection.  A couple more polite drivers watched me go by.  I took it easy and brought it back home.  I averaged 18.1 on the way south and brought it up to 19.9 by the time I got back to the garage!  Love the wind. 
Connor was a go, so I changed shoes and gulped some water (should have gulped more).  We took off slowly.  I was hurting after the first couple of steps.  Really stiff from the ride.  I figure it would be around 4.5 miles to the boat as it is about 5 to Bethany Beach an this was closer.  We ran down the right side of the road, since Connor was biking.  I followed him on the less busy roads and he followed me at the intersections and busy roads.  We took railway, old mill, cedar and central north to woodland.  Busy road crossing, but we made it.  I was hurting and we weren't going that fast.  I figured I would run to Hockers and then walk the rest of the way.  If you could call it run.  I was working to keep my heart rate in the low 140s, but it was above 146 most of the time.  I guess I could have just rolled, but that may have derailed the running camp.  Ang and Al passed us in the car right before Hockers.  I should have flagged them down, but kept running (staggering).  I finally made it.  I sent Connor ahead and walked the last bit to the boat.  I confirmed my dehyration status at the port a potty with an electric orange colored urination.  I knew I had 2 waters in the car so I wasn't worried, just thirsty.  Day 10 in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment